Hello There...

Welcome to my blog. I'm a full-time mommy of a 4-year-old & a 0-year-old, part-time waitress and a rookie blogger. Living on a farm with my son, daughter and husband among dogs, chickens, ducks and other various wildlife keeps life interesting and anything but normal!



Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Summer Corn Salad with Basil Buttermilk



Ingredients:
1 Roma Tomato
1/2 Medium Red Onion
1 Can Sweet Corn (drained)
Chopped Fresh Basil (10-15 leaves)
*I used Sweet Basil and Greek Basil from my herb garden*

Buttermilk Dressing:
1 cup buttermilk (or buttermilk substitute - check these)
(I used the milk/sour cream substitute)
1/3 cup mayonnaise 
1 clove minced garlic
1/4 heaping tsp of salt


Mince your onion, dice the tomato, finely chop the basil.
Fresh sweet corn would be ideal, cook it and cut it right off the cob 
But since it's not in season yet and I always have corn in the can in my pantry, I drained the corn in a colander and poured it on to some paper towel to get all the moisture out.

Combine your ingredients in a bowl

Now I know the dressing is technically called basil buttermilk dressing, but I just added the basil into the salad and made the dressing "plain". I think I had a little too much dressing on my salad, and I used about 3/4 of it, so you could easily cut the recipe in half for the dressing and I think it would be plenty.
Take your minced garlic and salt and mash it together to make a paste with a heavy knife on your cutting board. Add the paste to the buttermilk and whisk in the mayo. After whisking together I put in sealed container and gave it a good shake too. That's it. You're done.

Just pour your dressing over your salad and serve. You can serve immediately or chill before serving. This is such a fresh, yummy summer salad.I sincerely hope you try this recipe, because you will love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment