Hello There...

Welcome to my blog. I'm a full-time mommy of a 4-year-old & a 0-year-old, part-time waitress and a rookie blogger. Living on a farm with my son, daughter and husband among dogs, chickens, ducks and other various wildlife keeps life interesting and anything but normal!



Thursday, July 21, 2011

It's All Greek 2 Me

So blogging for me is one of those things that I've always wanted to do, but just never actually sat down and did. So here goes nothing. I'm not really sure what you're supposed to blog about, I mean obviously happenings in your life, recipes, pictures, yada yada yada. But I'm just not sure anyone cares. Then again I love to read blogs and have found myself indulging more and more in reading blogs of people that I know and those of total, complete strangers. I really have found to enjoy it, and so here I sit, attempting a blog of my own.

The title may seem a little extreme to some. We are anything but your typical farmers. My husband, Donny enjoys raising his chickens, tending to his garden, and caring for the landscape. I guess among the qualifications of living on a farm, the barn is probably one of the most obvious. Though we have yet to house livestock, the barn is a unique feature of our property. It sits among the pond, the 3+ acres of woods, 2 creek, gardens and chicken coop on our beautiful 7 acre plot out here in New Berlin. New Berlin's little motto is actually "City living with a touch of country" and that is the best way I can describe my life. Well put, New Berlin.

Donny and his garden - a labor of love.


I am NOT a farmer. My time outside is often spent sunning myself, floating on the pond, grilling our dinner or taking a late-night jog with Lola. I do selfishly enjoy harvesting the yummy fruits and vegetables that Donny labors so hard to grow. In fact, today was the first harvest of the growing season. I picked a whole bunch of summer squash and zucchini that we will be enjoying on our annual family camping trip this weekend in Black Hawk Lake, WI.


The first harvest. Grilling instructions: Slice or cube, wrap in foil, season with E.V.O.O. and garlic salt, fold foil closed, poke with fork for vent. Grill 10-15 minutes or until tender. Serve with your favorite grilled protien. Yum.

Now what do you get when you cross a self-proclaimed farmer with his city-life-loving wife? You get one crazy little kid. Jack is our almost 2-year-old son (tear.) who has got it made. He has a pond to swim in, three dogs to play with, chickens to chase, fresh veggies to eat (I wish) and oh so much room to run and play. I swear he would play outside until he plain fell over from exhaustion. I usually have to bribe him into the house with a Wiggles DVD. He's the easiest-going 2-year-old that I know. Sleeps until atleast 9am, naps for 2 1/2 hours a day, hardly ever cries, prays before every meal and before bed and before nap, so far is very polite and the kid always has a smile on his face. (Hmmm, proud mommy much?) What can I say, he's the perfect kid.

If you asked me 10--no 5--years ago if I would be living on a "farm" I would have laughed in your face and called you crazy. I think Donny may have even laughed in your face. Yet here we are, living the dream-on our own little farm. And I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have it any other way.

Well, for my first blog post ever, I feel pretty accomplished. I even figured out how to get pictures on here. Way- to-go me.

No comments:

Post a Comment